Warwick Criminal Defense Lawyer
Delivering Representation with Integrity in Kent County, Providence County, and Washington County
Facing a criminal charge in Warwick can be frightening. You'll likely be concerned about what the accusations and possible conviction can mean to you, your family, your job, your driver's license, and your personal and professional relationships. I understand the worries that can arise in a criminal case, which is why I will take the time to meet with you and discuss your options for fighting the allegations. I am Attorney Tom O'Brien of the Law Offices of Thomas H. O'Brien, and I want you to know that there is hope in your case. Providing reliable counsel with integrity, I will see you through this difficult time and aggressively fight to protect your rights and future.
The Rhode Island General Laws codify conduct considered criminal. The statutes are extremely complex, and the judicial process is complicated. Backed by over 25 years of legal experience, which includes time spent as a former prosecutor, I have a thorough understanding of the state's criminal justice system and laws, as well as their interpretation by the Rhode Island Supreme Court. As a Special Assistant Attorney General, I handled all types of criminal matters, including bail and probation/bail violation hearings. My background enables me to strategically analyze your case and prepare a strong defense on your behalf.
For legal representation from an experienced Warwick criminal defense attorney, call me at (401) 561-7240 or contact me online today. Your initial consultation is free.
How I Fight for The Accused
Depending on the acts involved, the defendant's criminal history, and other factors, violations of Rhode Island statutes can be misdemeanors or felonies. Regardless of the level of charge, fighting allegations takes effort and skill. While challenging the prosecutor's arguments can seem intimidating, know that you have the right to be represented by a lawyer throughout your case. Exercise this right, and reach out to me right away.
As a Warwick criminal defense lawyer, I conduct thorough analyses of every case I handle, looking for details to cast doubt on the prosecutor's case and strengthen the defense of my clients. I am invigorated when taking on challenging criminal matters and stand up against even the most formidable opponents. Not one to back down from a fight, I can work tirelessly for you, seeking a favorable outcome on your behalf.
I am prepared to provide representation in various criminal cases, including:
- Domestic violence: Abusing or threatening to abuse a family or household member. Various misdemeanors and felonies fall under this term.
- Drug offenses: Includes possessing, distributing, cultivating, and trafficking controlled substances, among other illegal activities involving drugs. Penalties can include loss of driving privileges, fines, and/or incarceration.
- DUI/DWI/Breathalyzer Refusal: Operating a vehicle with an unlawful BAC or while under the influence of or impaired by alcohol and/or drugs. A conviction can result in incarceration, fines, and/or driver's license suspension.
- Felonies: Crimes punishable by more than 1 year in prison and/or more than $1,000 in fines. Examples of offenses include theft over $1,500, embezzlement, identity fraud, and homicide.
- Misdemeanors: Offenses punishable by not more than 1 year in jail and/or not more than $1,000 in fines. Examples of misdemeanors include first or second DUI violations, shoplifting, trespass, simple assault and vandalism.
- Probation and bail violation hearings: Violating conditions of probation or bail can result in additional restrictions and/or potential jail time.
- Theft and shoplifting: Unlawfully taking property from another person or a merchant. Depending on the value of the item, the offense is either a misdemeanor or felony.
I handle criminal matters from beginning to end, including the arrest, bail hearings, arraignments, pretrials, and trials. Additionally, I can help you seek to have your criminal record cleared by petitioning for expungement. I can also work to protect your driving privileges by challenging a breath test refusal.
You can be confident that I will stand by your side through every step in your case, providing the sound counsel you need.
our areas of pratice
types of cases we handle
- Criminal Defense
- Drug Offenses
- Misdemeanor Charges
- Probation & Bail Violation Hearings
- Theft & Shoplifting
Reach Out to a Warwick Criminal Defense Attorney Today
When I take on a case, I meticulously examine the details. I examine surveillance footage, photographs, documents, and other evidence to tell my client's side of the story. I also look at everything that happened, from the arrest to the charges being filed, to determine whether police misconduct resulted in a violation of my client's Constitutional rights.
I am here to determine your legal options and help you understand the avenues we can explore. No matter the crime you've been charged with, I will fight aggressively for you in and out of court.
Schedule your free initial consultation by calling me at (401) 561-7240 or submitting an online contact form today.